Nuts are one salty treat that you should avoid giving to your dog. Nuts contain large amounts of oils and fats which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea or even pancreatitis which is no laughing matter. Pecans and Macadamia’s have been shown to do the most damage so if you can keep these hidden away and up high. Whilst not all nuts are toxic to dogs they tend to be hard to digest and can lead to digestion issues so it’s best to avoid giving these to your furry friend.
Grapes and Raisins
Although the scientific reasons behind what makes grapes and raisins so deadly to dogs is largely unknown, the toxins within grapes and raisins have be known to cause kidney failure. Whilst there is still no strong scientific evidence to say what causes the kidneys to fail it’s not worth taking the risk.
Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine
This is a fairly well known one but chocolate can be extremely harmful to dogs. Chocolate contains caffeine which in turn contains substances called methylxanthines, which are also found in cacao/coffee beans. When ingested by your dog or dogs, methylxanthines can lead to violent vomiting, diarrhoea as well as heart palpitations and unusual rhythms and in the worst case even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. The Christmas period is fast approaching so it’s best to keep chocolate well out of reach. We’re not sure why you ever would but you should never give your dog coffee or cocoa beans.